JK Govt makes Ladakh a separate division
JK Govt makes Ladakh a separate division
jkupdate.com | 08-Feb-2019 04:17 PM
Jammu and Kashmir government today approved the creation of Ladakh as a separate division.
JAMMU: Jammu and Kashmir government today approved the creation of Ladakh as a separate division.
In a detailed order, the government said Ladakh has been created as a separate Administrative and Revenue Division, therefore the state would have three divisions including Jammu, Ladakh and Kashmir from now onwards.
Below is the text of the government’s order:
1. The Government has approved the creation of a separate Administrative/ Revenue Division for Ladakh. This division will comprise Leh and Kargil Districts.
2. In this decision, the Government has sanctioned the following :
(i) creation of a separate Administrative/Revenue Division comprising Leh and Kargil districts, with its headquarters at Leh.
(ii Creation of following posts :
(a) Divisional Commissioner (Ladakh), Leh
(b) Inspector General of Police (Ladakh), Leh
(iii) constitution of a committee under the chairmanship of Principal
Secretary to Government, Planning, Development and Monitoring Department to identify the posts of divisional level heads of various departments that may be required for the new Division; particularly their staffing pattern, role and responsibilities and proposed location of these offices.
3. This decision of the Government goes a long way in fulfilling the governance and development aspirations of the people of Ladakh region. The issue has been discussed at various fora and there has been a persistent demand for the creation of Division for Ladakh from many organizations including the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Councils (LAHDC) Leh and Kargil.
4. Ladakh is one of the most sparsely populated regions in Jammu and Kashmir and is the highest plateau in the State of Jammu & Kashmir, with most of it being over 9,800 feet above sea level. Ladakh region is geographically isolated with a sparse population and inhospitable terrain which remains landlocked for nearly six months in a year. Consequently, the Region is riddled with insurmountable problems with respect to delivery of developmental schemes, redressal of public grievances, conduct of administrative affairs and governance as such.
5. The people of Ladakh have, for a long time, been demanding effective local institutional arrangements which can help promote and accelerate the pace of development and equitable all-round growth and development having regard to its peculiar geo-climatic and topographic conditions, stimulate and seek fullest participation of the local community in the decision making process. At present the powers of local governance have already been decentralized by formation of Hill Development Councils for the Leh and Kargil Districts. This was given effect to by enacting the Jammu and Kashmir Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council Act, 1997. Under the said Act, the Hill Development Councils were established both for Leh and Kargil Districts. In order to strengthen the respective Hill Development Councils Leh and Kargil, the LAHDC Act, 1997 has been amended further in 2018 to give them more powers.
6. During winter months the entire Ladakh region, comprising both Leh and Kargil, remain cut-off from rest of the country for almost six months and air travel via Leh is the only mode of transport available to this region, which makes it impossible for people to visit other parts of the country for various purposes. The remoteness and inaccessibility of the area makes the area eligible for establishing a separate Division for the said region.
7. Currently, the Ladakh region forms a part of the Kashmir Division of Jammu and Kashmir. There have been persistent demands from the region for creation of a separate Division claiming that the tough/distinct topographic conditions and unique cultural status, the Ladakh region deserves a special treatment particularly due to the distance from the capital.
8. Taking all these into consideration, the Government has decided to create a separate Administrative/Revenue Division for Ladakh. A Divisional Commissioner and Inspector General of Police for Ladakh.
Tags: JKupdate J&K News Jammu and Kashmir government Ladakh separate division separate Administrative
1 of 40
DDC Budgam takes stock of Hajj Arrangements at Srinagar Airport
2 of 40
Two JeM militants killed in Bijbehara were key players in Lethpora att..
3 of 40
16 passengers injured in Poonch road accident
4 of 40
Army soldier injured in cross-LoC shelling in Poonch
5 of 40
VDC (SPO) member kills wife, commits suicide in Doda
6 of 40
Two houseboats gutted in mysterious blaze in Nageen Lake Srinagar
7 of 40
Anantnag Encounter: Two bodies found, fresh firing resumes
8 of 40
7-a side women’s hockey tournament 2019 started in Srinagar
9 of 40
Governor expresses grief over loss of CRPF men
10 of 40
SWD distributes wheel chairs, hearing aid, tricycles among specially-a..
11 of 40
Militants lobbed grenade on Police station Sopore, two policemen injur..
12 of 40
Para trooper shoots self dead in Kellar in South Kashmir
13 of 40
One killed, four others injured as locals tried to erect steel-tubular..
14 of 40
Panjran Operation Over: 4 Militants Killed
15 of 40
Militant hideout busted,Arms cache seized in Chilly, Doda
16 of 40
Five militants surrender in Kulgam
17 of 40
Man shot dead in north Kashmir’s Handwara
18 of 40
Govt order on daily-wagers confusing: Tarigami
19 of 40
Three arrested with heroine, vehicle seized at Lakhanpur
20 of 40
Mysterious blast in Gurez leaves 16-year-old boy killed, another wound..
21 of 40
BJP will surely form the next government in J&K: Ravinder Raina
22 of 40
SJA organizes training on “Grant of Maintenance under Section 488 CrPC..
23 of 40
GoI lauds JK’s performance under AB-PMJAY
24 of 40
DDC Ramban distributes Scooties among specially-abled
25 of 40
Div Com announces winners of Red Cross Societys’ Raffle Draw 2019
26 of 40
Advisor Skandan inspects various industrial units at Bari Brahmana
27 of 40
800 women participates in Women fun Run in Jammu
28 of 40
At 25, BJD Lawmaker Is Youngest Member Of Parliament
29 of 40
Hailstorm wreaks havoc in Rafiabad area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla
30 of 40
No ban on Contractual,seasonal appointments, Govt says circular being ..
31 of 40
Ganderbal police arrested drug peddler, recovered 2.5 kgs of poppy str..
32 of 40
Women voters played a pivotal role in Modi’s historical victory: Priya..
33 of 40
Love, sex and dhoka: How Zakir Musa was trapped in Kashmir
34 of 40
Modi's Victory is the victory of people : Priya Sethi
35 of 40
Governor dedicates second phase of Jehangir Chowk-Rambagh flyover to c..
36 of 40
Army soldier martyred, seven others injured in IED blast along LoC in ..
37 of 40
Kulgam encounter: Two militants killed, Search on
38 of 40
LAWDA demolishes several illegal constructions around Dal and Tsuntiku..
39 of 40
Gunfight rages in south Kashmir’s Shopian
40 of 40
Joint Director NIFT meets Governor